Let me just start out by saying that Broc claims to own Alta View ER. With all the "accidents" that he had growing up and the "accidents" he's had as an adult, a lot of money has been filtered into the coffers of IHC. With that being said, I was pretty hopeful that our little family was safe from having recurring visits to any doctor's office, Instacare or ER. You would think that having 4 children, 3 of whom are male, our odds of having to visit said medical facilities would be pretty high...my boys are NOTHING compared to my daughter! Wasn't it last year about this time that Keraghan broke her arm?
Today started out like any other day, Jentz to swimming lessons and play group, Iain to the dentist...Keraghan to the ER! Wait, did I say any other day? While at the dentist Kergs fell backwards off a waiting room chair and bonked her head. She passed out for a couple of seconds but seemed fine. No dialated eyes no throwing up...that is until 45 minutes later, you would have thought that she was trying out for the exorcist! At this point I call her doctor and they tell me to get her to an ER right away. We go to mom's, change me, give her a bath and head for Riverton Hospital (not exactally the closest BUT they have a Primary Children's Satallite). On our way I decide to drop Iain off at Andi's to play (thank you immensely) and Kergs falls asleep!
NOW I AM IN PANIC MODE!
Head injury, throwing up and sleeping are not a great combination.
We get to the ER and check in. Kergs wakes up enough to realize that she doesn't want to be there and them promptly starts throwing up again, so much for the bath and clean clothes on both of us. We go through triage and get to our room and she is still really listless and lethargic.
IN WALKS POPPIE!
I had called my dad, bawling of course, and he left work to come and sit with me. (Don't think too harshly of Broc, he couldn't leave work.) We waited for el doctor and when he comes in Keraghan doesn't want to talk to him or even look at him! With a little prodding we are able to get Keraghan to cooperate and Dr. Guenter (like goon-ter) cautions me on the pros and cons of a CT scan. He said that she was showing all the tell-tale signs of a classic head injury but it was up to me to weigh the risks...HUH? For petes sake! Do I worry about radiation (that could possibly hurt her in 50 years) or take the chance that her brain is swelling and she has a cracked skull? Um, yeah, I opted for the CT scan - better to be safe than sorry, right?
She was an angel during the scan! Didn't move a muscle - almost! After about an hour of waiting, Dr. Guenter came in and told us that her CT was perfect! No swelling, no fractures and no bleeding! Her tylenol had kicked in and she was full of piss and vinegar once again!


This is from Julie
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry..I'm so glad it wasn't something more serious.
After something like that happens at our house, I am not surprised anymore, just load them up and take them in.
Oh and on a side note, I never feel bad when anyone asks me to donate to Primary Childrens and I say no, since I truly feel that we own a little part of the hospital because of the many visits we've made to them.