Sunday, February 8, 2009

Broc's Grandma Stutz


It's amazing to me how quickly time flies by. When you're a kid it seems like forever from summer to Christmas or even birthday to birthday. Whenever there is a BIG life changing event I always find myself reflecting on my life and thinking about what I have accomplished thus far and what I would like to accomplish in the future. This last week has been, in many ways, reflective. It was a week ago today that Broc's Grandma Stutz passed away. We were very fortunate, in that, we were the last of her grandkids to see her before she died.


Damian and Kallie stopped by our house last Friday night after they had gone to Lehi to see Grandma for themselves. They let us know that she was not doing good at all and that she probably wouldn't make it another month. Broc and I didn't realize that she had gotten so bad so we decided that we needed to take the kids and go for a visit. Broc called Aunt Gail Sunday morning and asked her if it would be alright if we came down that afternoon. When we got there we walked into her room and Broc, Hunter and I all started to cry. She didn't have her eyes open but we talked to her all the same. We held her hand and caught her up on what we had been doing for the past month. She never opened her eyes or talked to us but while we were saying our good byes and asking her if Grandpa was there waiting for her, she did cry. (A couple of tears slipped out.) I know that she was aware that we were there and Keraghan was very busy "talking" to someone in the room. When we left (around 2:15ish) Broc, Hunter and I were sad but grateful that we had been able to visit with her.


From there we went to watch the Super Bowl at my parents house and didn't get home until 8. I was checking to see who might have called while we were gone and I noticed that Paula had called earlier. I figured that she was calling to see how our visit had gone but when I listened to her message I was dumbfounded. She had called to let us know that our sweet little grandma had passed away around 4. None of us expected that it would happen that soon. Broc went over to see Hunter and let him know that grandma had died because Hunt didn't take the news any better than I did. Once we got over the initial shock that she had died hours after our visit, Broc and I began to think about her life. She lived to celebrate her 90th birthday! There was a HUGE family party for her last June so that all of her kids, grandkids, great-grandkids, brothers, sisters, etc. could all come together and let her know how much she was loved. She was married to a wonderful man and survived 25 years after his death. She lived in various places, had 9 children, 41 grandchildren, 79 great-grandchildren and 1 great-great-grandchild! She lived a full life and, from what I can gather through our conversations, she didn't have any regrets. The reunion in heaven must have been amazing! I told her before we left that she had better be one of the first people that I see when I die, I know she won't disappoint. I am going to miss her. She never failed to call on any of our birthdays and I will miss hearing her complain about the names we've all given our kids. She was an amazing woman and I am very lucky to have been able to call her grandma.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of your loss. Know that we love you and are thinking about you at this time.
    Lish,I LOVE the hand picts you have taken, they are so sweet and say so much.
    Love You Guys. Give the kids hugs for us -k-

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet photo. I know right where you're at with this whole thing. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete