
Where do I start? December? Yes, you read that right, my dad always calls me up sometime in December and asks, "Guess what I just did?" To which I quickly reply, "You made reservations for Memorial Day camping?!" I know, who is thinking about camping in the dead of winter? That would be my dad.

So, fast forward 5 months and we actually get to Memorial Day weekend! This year we were fortunate to be able to borrow my Aunt Arlene's tent trailer. We finally have something to tow it with so we were able to take her up on the offer to borrow it! I really love to camp, we did it lots while I was growing up BUT tent camping is not on my list of favorites. This year having the trailer to hunker down in was a blessing. Just in case you were not aware before now, IT RAINED ALL FLIPPIN' WEEKEND!!! Yes, rain and camping should not ever be used in the same sentence, especially when kids are also mentioned! For 2 weeks we were slowly getting excited to go camping. Sometime in the last decade it became a tradition to go camping with my Uncle Denny's family over Memorial Day weekend. It has been so much fun to hang out with my cousins and their families. This year was to be much more of the same (however we had to suffer through the absence of Jesse and Ryan). Friday morning the kids and I worked our little butts off to get everything ready and packed so that when Broc got home at 3:30 we would be able to pull out of Dodge! We packed our bags and went shopping for yummies and were just about sitting in the car when Broc finally got home.
A few last minute things and we were off and on the freeway by 4:45. As we started to ascend up Provo Canyon it became clear that it had been wet and gloomy that day. I was starting to have a sense of forbooding! When we got to the campground and the road was wet and there were puddles of water everywhere I really knew we were in for some fun!! (Try to read that with the sarcasim you know I possess). We got the trailer set up before dark and suffered through some little sprinkles all night. The best thing about having the trailer was that we had a furnace to keep us warm through the night! Saturday we all drove up to Bandana Ranch and explored the property and then drove back to camp so that we could warm up and make some dinner. I ended up taking a nap with KK and woke up not feeling so good. Dinner was great and the night was fun of the usual chit chat; Carre Shinob, Skinwalkers, aliens... Saturday night was the worst! Kergs wouldn't sleep and Iain threw up. When we woke up Andi & Bruce had slept in a puddle and decided that, with no dry clothes, they would head for home. We almost did too and would have if it weren't for the trailer. Sunday brought on more of the rain.
The kids didn't seem to notice so much and found all the mud they could (alnog with the dogs). We decided to perservere and stay the night, we froze!! The batteries lost their juice halfway through the night and the furnace turned off. When we woke up it was definitely time to head for home!! All things considered, we had a fun time and the kids will always remember the memories that they made!
A few last minute things and we were off and on the freeway by 4:45. As we started to ascend up Provo Canyon it became clear that it had been wet and gloomy that day. I was starting to have a sense of forbooding! When we got to the campground and the road was wet and there were puddles of water everywhere I really knew we were in for some fun!! (Try to read that with the sarcasim you know I possess). We got the trailer set up before dark and suffered through some little sprinkles all night. The best thing about having the trailer was that we had a furnace to keep us warm through the night! Saturday we all drove up to Bandana Ranch and explored the property and then drove back to camp so that we could warm up and make some dinner. I ended up taking a nap with KK and woke up not feeling so good. Dinner was great and the night was fun of the usual chit chat; Carre Shinob, Skinwalkers, aliens... Saturday night was the worst! Kergs wouldn't sleep and Iain threw up. When we woke up Andi & Bruce had slept in a puddle and decided that, with no dry clothes, they would head for home. We almost did too and would have if it weren't for the trailer. Sunday brought on more of the rain.
The kids didn't seem to notice so much and found all the mud they could (alnog with the dogs). We decided to perservere and stay the night, we froze!! The batteries lost their juice halfway through the night and the furnace turned off. When we woke up it was definitely time to head for home!! All things considered, we had a fun time and the kids will always remember the memories that they made!

Thanks Uncle Calvin for always arranging this! I absolutely love to go up there with our families and laugh and hang out. I'm sad I missed the annual discussions on Carre-Shinob, aliens and skinwalkers. That's half the fun while there!
ReplyDeleteI feel so bad for you! Camping really does suck when it's rainy and cold. I've given up trying to camp with kids, unless we bunk with someone that offers some space in their trailer.
ReplyDeleteBetter luck next time. :)