I am totally plagiarizing my wonderful friend LeeAnne with this blog. She posted it on her blog and once I read it I had to copy it and post it myself, she says things way better than I could. We have been playing BONKO since March of 2001 and it is very rarely that any of us miss a month. She is right about there being different people throughout the years, I think the group we have now has been the same for almost 2 years, a record. Those of you that know me know that the 3rd Saturday of any month is my BONKO night and usually we try to take in a movie after as well. I love getting together with my girls and thanks to a wonderful hubby that encourages me to take off for a night!
Here's LeeAnnie's Post:
At least seven years ago, I was really sick of never seeing my oldest, best friends. We were out of that 'everyone getting married' stage and the 'everyone having baby showers' stage and we never saw each other. So we started playing Bonko. I don't really have the opportunity to make friends at work since I have always worked with men. And while I have made some good friends in my ward, nothing compares to the comfort of old friends. Also, let me tell you how our Bonko group differs from other groups:
a) We play Bonko, not Bunco. The game is completely made up by us so that we don't have to think very hard. We don't use score sheets, we use a plain (sometimes cutesy) piece of paper folded in half. We don't rotate the numbers as we play because that distracts us from the real reason we are there- to eat and talk about sex. (just teasing babe, we would never discuss something so private!).
b) We are SO NOT competitive that we have to force ourselves to actually play so that SOMEONE can take home the prizes.
c) We don't care if someone comes without makeup or wears their sweats, scrubs, pj's, etc... we are just grateful to see each other. It has become a well known fact in my household that absolutely nothing gets planned on the third Saturday of the month because I won't miss it. I look forward to that night out without kids where I can be myself. I don't always have to be cheery, well-groomed and try as hard to be perfect. It's one of the few places I can just be me, warts and all.
As a group, we have seen death and divorce, marriage and birth. We have laughed and cried together. We have more inside jokes than I could list. We have had a few people come and go over the years but regardless of where they are, I love my Bonko girls. They are the ladies who have changed my life for the better.

How are things? good i hope...Just wanted to say hi
ReplyDeleteI just left a comment on LeAnne's page too, but I'll ditto it here, I am so envious of all you guys with your BONKO night. If you EVER need a fill in please, please call me I would LOVE to be a part of the fun!!
ReplyDelete