8 years ago
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Bugs Pooping on Our Teeth
You know you are a terrible parent when you take your kids to the dentist and he tells you that your 5 year old needs hundreds of dollars of dental work!! I have realized that we don't enforce the brushing of the teeth like we should. I took Iain and Jentzen for their first real dental check-ups last week and the dentist informed me that, lucky us, Iain has teeth like Broc's side of the family. Needless to say today was E's first "cavity" appointment and he is trying to be a trooper. They started on his right side this week, he received 2 silver caps, 1 filling on a front tooth, sealant on a back molar and, just to be nice, the dentist pulled a loose front tooth. The novacaine wore off a couple of hours ago and all E could do was cry for medicne. I've been trying to tell him how important it is to make sure we brush our teeth and that he wouldn't have had to have all this pain if we had been doing what we were supposed to. The dentist told Iain that the reason he got the cavities that he did was because when we don't brush our teeth the "bugs" in our mouth eat up all the leftover food that's left on our teeth and when the bugs get full and poop it out that's what gives us our cavities. Iain has been so grossed out by the thought that bugs are pooping on his teeth that he is brushing like crazy now. He has one more appointment next week to finish up the left side (not near as many things to do) and then he should be done for 6 months. I hope that we can stick with the program and have an uneventful checkup in May.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Gross I would brush my teeth if I had bugs pooping in my mouth too. Actually I think I should go brush my teeth now.
ReplyDeletePoor E - that is so rough for a kiddo his age.
ReplyDeleteI was laughing about what your dentist told him about the bugs though - I wonder if I can talk our dentist into telling my boys that next month. We usually do well with teeth but I am a bit worried this time with little brushing and not having had floridated water this last year. Maybe the bug thing will get my boys to brush too.
Hope things go better for you - sounds like you are off to a good start!